You came across the perfect car, but there is a problem, the owner has lost the title or never had the title! This does not mean you can not buy a car!
Purchasing a vehicle with no title is complicated, but you can do it in certain circumstances. We suggest you first do some extra paperwork and research on the registration of the vehicle.
This article will help you in your quest to purchase that vehicle without a title. We hope you find it helpful and share it with your friends!
The Purpose of Car Titles
A car title establishes ownership. The title is the single most important document for you and your vehicle. Here in Texas, you can not register a vehicle unless the title is in your name. the title contains all of the legal owner’s information like address and vehicle identification number or VIN.
Also, keep your title in a safe place, not in your vehicle. If you keep it in your car, it could get stolen. Some websites tell you to keep the title for 18 months, but this is not true. You should keep your title for as long as you own the vehicle. Many times we get a call to buy cars with lost titles.
If you lose your title, you can go to your local county courthouse and request a copy of it. It takes 6-8 weeks to receive your replacement.
- Research The Car’s History
- When you are purchasing a vehicle that does not have a title. Always be suspect and do your homework on the vehicle. The car could be salvage or have a lienholder on it.
- Go online and purchase a vehicle history report, VHR. The VHR tells you who the registered owner is and what type of title it currently has. It will tell you if it has a salvage, flood, or unrepairable title.
- If you choose to purchase the non-titled vehicle, we suggest you go to your local courthouse and ask them to check the vehicle identification number. They are not allowed to release personal information, but they can tell you if it is stolen and, to a point, the title status.
- While here, you can inquire about how you can go about getting the vehicle in your name.
- Use a Bill of Sale
- There is no title on the vehicle you are purchasing, and you MUST use a bill of sale. The bill of sale is your record of sale and becomes a legal document. What Needs to Be on a Bill of Sale When Buying Car No Title
- A description of the vehicle, i.e., year make, and model.
- 2. Vehicle Identification Number or VIN
- 3. The amount you paid and the date
- 4. The legal name of you and the seller. We want to share a quick tip to help you. When you are doing the paperwork, make sure to place the seller’s state legal identification on the hood, top right where the VIN is, and take a picture with your phone. We also recommend taking a picture of the seller in front of the vehicle showing the license plate. This will protect you if later you have to prove to whom you purchased the car from.
- Get a Duplicate Title From TXDOT Office
- If the seller just lost their title, you can immediately get a copy of it. There is a form Texas put out to help with this. You will need to fill it out and follow the directions on it. Don’t leave out any! You are required to have a copy of the registered person’s legal state-issued identification or driver’s license. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/get-a-copy-of-your-title
- You can get the title on the same day through your TXDOT regional office.
Now is The Vehicle Worth the Hassle?
Before you take the above steps, you need to ask yourself, “Is this car worth all of this trouble?” don’t get caught up in the beauty of the vehicle. There is a chance you may not be able to obtain a legal title. This means you could lose the money you paid for it.
Ultimately, it depends on how much time you have, how much you want the car, and whether you are willing to do what it takes to own it legally.
We Buy Cars No Title
The above steps are some of the same ones we take every day, several times a day. If you require selling your vehicle and have lost the title, you will receive top dollar from us.
Free towing is always offered and same day pickup! With four locations in the Hou