Renters Left a Car on My Property What Do I Do?

Renters Left a Car on my Property. How do I get a Certificate of Authority To Dispose of the Vehicle?

I get a lot of calls from homeowners with an old junk car that was left a vehicle on their property from a tenant.  I always advise the property owners the same thing. You have to do a certificate of authority, also known as a COA. These are very easy to do and allow you to dispose legally of a vehicle, which is abandoned on your property. Once a COA is done, the car can never be put back on the road; it is marked as salvage. This is a legitimate way of obtaining the authority to dispose of the vehicle. Once your COA comes in from the state, we can accept this in place of a title.

I have heard that a few people have placed a small claim civil suit on the former residents that abandoned a vehicle on their property, and the public judge has issued or judged that the owner of the property has rights to this vehicle, but I have never experienced this.

Can I remove these without you going through any of this? Yes, but we will have to remove the vehicle and place it on a state-approved storage lot. If I do this, I cannot pay anything for the car. The storage lot directly pays my company for a tow. We are not able to retain the vehicle once it is placed in storage. By state law, it must be auctioned off.

If you need any help, then please feel free to give us a call at 281-946-7209

More Information From Texas on Certificate of Authority

More from the State of Texas on Certificate of Authority. There is a Certificate of Authority form located here.


The above or anything on this site is not legal advice. In no way is it meant to be. Please consult the proper legal counsel.

Originally posted 2016-08-15 23:58:43.

Call Now ButtonCall Now